Sunday 11 March 2012

Awesome Nature #9

Red Panda
Type: Mammal Lives In: China and Nepal Conservation Status: Vulnerable

These cute creatures have intrigued me ever since I saw the one they have at the splendid Marwell Zoological Park here in Hampshire. My parents used to take me there every year for my birthday treat and I always looked forward to seeing him, but more often than not he would disappoint me by hiding in his little wooden hut! In the wild, they live in the forests of the Himalayas, much like their larger and more famous relative, and also mainly eats bamboo too, but apart from that they have little in common with their 'Giant' namesake, particularly with regards to their appearance, instead looking more like a cross between a raccoon and a lemur. They are also nocturnal and clean their fur like a cat. They are so unique, in fact, that they are now classified within their own family of which they are the only member! Not only are they unique, though, but they're also distant and quite rare too, so I suppose I have little chance of seeing one in the wild. I guess it's off to Marwell again. See ya!

Why It Is Awesome: Because it's the real Firefox!

No comments:

Post a Comment