Tuesday 22 December 2015

Red Parsley Charts - Part 2

Oh, hey, what's going down y'all? Over a year ago now some of you may recall a list posted here of the Top Ten highest rated games that I've reviewed so far. This was meant to be the first of several similar lists leading to a 'Charts' tab at the top of the page, but... I kind of forgot about it. Until now!

That's right, it's now time for the Top Ten highest rated films that I've reviewed! Since I've only actually reviewed a small percentage of the films I've seen and a tiny fraction of those made so far, I guess it's a rather pointless list, but that's never stopped me before. Like its game equivalent, the list will be updated over time, but for now here are the finest films to be reviewed here so far :)

10. Kick-Ass (2010)

I really didn't know quite what to make of this when it first arrived in a shower of glowing reviews but I bought it anyway and immediately loved it! Aaron Johnson is good but Chloe Moretz steals the show for me as Hit-Girl. Great characters, great action, lots of black humour... What more could you ask for? (full review here)


9. A Knight's Tale (2001)

I never bothered with this until a friend recommended it years after its release, and I'm sure glad she did, for it quickly became one of my very favourite films! It's all pretty corny, and some have a problem with the anachronisms, but it's also a highly satisfying feel-good flick, and tremendously rewatchable. (full review here)


8. The Place Beyond the Pines (2013)

This was one of those random cinema choices that I knew nothing about before-hand, but I was pretty much glued to my seat for the entire near-2½ hour run-time. It's an intelligently-written and well-paced tale and features some fantastic performances, and it'll stay with you long after the credits roll. (full review here)


7. Into the Wild (2007)

There are few films I feel I can relate to as much as this Sean Penn-directed effort which details the mesmerising journey undertaken by a dissatisfied college graduate who drops everything without a word to anyone and disappears. He's a bit of a dick and he's very selfish, but my word, what an experience he has... (full review here)


6. Moon (2009)

I'm always on the look-out for new sci-fi films and this one seemed to come out of nowhere. Aside from Kevin Spacey's voice it pretty much only features Sam Rockwell and he does a wonderful job as the lonely occupant of a moon base longing for home. A riveting and thought-provoking thriller... (full review here)


5. Iron Man (2008)

Who knew what the success of this film would lead to? We're well into double-figures with the MCU films now and it all started with this superbly-told origin story. What's even more surprising is that it's still one of the best too, with its great performances, particularly from RDJ, and dazzling action and effects. (full review here)


4. Dave (1993)

Those who know me won't be surprised to see this here. Its tale of an 'ordinary' guy becoming President of the USA (kind of) has been one of my favourite films since it came out and I've seen it about a billion times now. It might be corny nonsense but it's still great. I challenge you to find a better feel-good film. (full review here)


3. Ex Machina (2015)

The most recent film on the list is this sci-fi thriller which is also, remarkably, the directorial début of Alex Garland. It's a fascinating exploration of artificial intelligence and the implications/consequences that arise from such tinkering. Still the best film and hardest-hitting ending I've seen this year so far... (full review here)


2. Avengers Assemble (2012)

If any film has ever had expectations to live up to, it was this one - the culmination of five previous films-worth of build-up - and amazingly it actually managed it! And then some. The dialogue was memorable and the scale and quality of the action set new standards, leaving us with the finest superhero movie yet. (full review here)


1. The Station Agent (2003)

Perhaps not the kind of film many would expect to find in this lofty position but not only is it one of my all-time favourites, it's also the only one so far to receive a perfect score. It's not perfect of course - nothing is - but it's about as close as possible, for me at least. A truly wonderful film I never tire of. (full review here)

 

2 comments:

  1. Kick-Ass was such a great film. I'm probably one of the few that actually really raved about the sequel as well and enjoyed it just as much, perhaps even more so. Negative reviews probably nuked the franchise though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very true, I believe most involved were up for a third instalment but whether it will get the funding now, who knows? I didn't like the second one as much though, I must admit. Hit-Girl had less to do and she's the real star of the series, so...

    ReplyDelete